Motorists and residents of Central Florida already know a lot about the I-4 Ultimate reconstruction project. But an even larger project, called I-4 Beyond the Ultimate, remains relatively unknown — even as it gets underway.
I-4 Beyond the Ultimate is just what it says. It goes well beyond the current I-4 Ultimate work. I-4 Beyond the Ultimate will add 20 miles of extra lanes and reconfigured interchanges to the western end of the I-4 Ultimate project. And it will add another 20 miles of new lanes to the eastern end as well.
Both improvement projects are overseen by the Florida Department of Transportation and both add extra lanes, more bridges and improved interchanges. Most importantly, both improve the safety and mobility of the interstate while increasing connectivity between Central Florida communities.
While you’ll see progress reports and regular construction updates on this website, now is a great time to give you a little insight on the extent of construction and the scheduling of these individual projects.
I-4 Beyond the Ultimate Construction Projects East of Orlando
- E.E. Williamson Road Bridge Reconstruction at I-4:
- Construction on this project began in September 2019.
- Completion expected in Spring 2021. (FPID: 439682-4)
- Eastbound I-4 New Auxiliary Lane from I-4 Ultimate to Lake Mary Boulevard
- This project includes milling and resurfacing eastbound I-4 from I-4 Ultimate to the eastbound I-4 exit to Lake Mary Boulevard.
- Construction began in September 2019.
- Completion is expected in Spring 2021. (FPID: 439682-3)
- Repaving EB I-4 between C.R. 46A and U.S. 17-92
- This project includes milling and resurfacing Eastbound I-4 from west of Lake Mary Boulevard to west of County Road (C.R.) 46A and from west of State Road (S.R.) 46 to east of U.S. 17-92.
- Construction began in August 2019.
- Completion expected in February 2020. (FPIDs: 439682-2,-5)
I-4 Beyond the Ultimate Construction Projects West of Orlando
- Championsgate Interchange Improvements
- This project includes building a completely new diverging diamond interchange for C.R. 532 at the I-4 interchange. The design accommodates dual southbound left and right turn lanes at C.R. 532 and I‑4 westbound ramp terminal intersection, and dual northbound left turn lanes at C.R. 532/I‑4 eastbound ramp terminal intersection.
- Construction is anticipated in Fall 2021. (FPID: 444187-1)
- EB/WB I-4 New Auxiliary Lanes between S.R. 429 and C.R. 532
- This project includes the construction of new auxiliary lanes on I-4, one in each direction, between the ramps of S.R. 429 and C.R. 532, and an auxiliary lane on Northbound S.R. 429 between I-4 and Sinclair Road. The project also includes milling and resurfacing Eastbound and Westbound I-4 from the Polk-Osceola county line to west of S.R. 417.
- Construction anticipated in Fall 2021. (FPIDs: 444329-1, 443958-1)
- Daryl Carter Parkway and I-4 Interchange
- This projects includes construction of three new ramps to connect I-4 to Daryl Carter Parkway. These include exit ramps from both directions of I-4 and an entrance ramp to eastbound I-4. Project will also convert the existing Daryl Carter Parkway overpass to a diverging diamond interchange.
- Construction anticipated late 2021/early 2022. (FPID: 441113-1)
- Sand Lake Road (S.R. 482) and I-4 Interchange Improvements
- This project includes the complete interchange reconfiguration into a diverging diamond. Left turns from Westbound Sand Lake Road to Southbound Turkey Lake Road will be eliminated. Instead, access to Turkey Lake Road will be via a new loop ramp.
- Construction anticipated late 2021/early 2022. (FPID: 444315-1)
- Repaving WB I-4 in Seminole County
- This project includes milling and resurfacing Westbound I-4 from the Seminole-Volusia county line to Lake Mary Boulevard. This project excludes the section of Westbound I-4 between C.R. 46A and S.R. 46 that will be improved during construction of the Wekiva Parkway.
- Construction anticipated in Summer 2020. (FPID: 439682-1)
Other I-4 Construction Projects
- I-4 Ultimate
- Currently underway, this project includes the reconstruction of 21 miles of I-4 from west of Kirkman Road (S.R. 435) to east of S.R. 434. (FPID: 432193-1)
- Wekiva Pkwy. (S.R. 429)
- Section 8 of the Wekiva Pkwy. project will build 2.63 miles of limited access toll road from Orange Boulevard to east of Rinehart Road. This section will include the new interchange at I-4 that will connect with S.R. 417. (FPID: 240200-4)
For more I-4 travel information, visit www.i4exitguide.com, one of the Internet’s largest and most complete website devoted to I-14. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit from Tampa to Daytona! Plus I-4 construction, real-time traffic and road news.